Public Notice of Educational Rights of the Homeless
Homeless students are defined as lacking a fixed, regular and/or adequate nighttime residence, including:
- sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing or economic hardship
- living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations
- living in emergency or transitional shelters
- abandoned in hospitals
- awaiting foster care placement
- living in public or private places not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings
- living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, transportation stations or similar settings
- migratory children living in conditions described above
Homeless children have a right to be enrolled in their school of origin or to attend school in the area where they are living. A child cannot be denied enrollment due to lack of immunization records. A homeless student is entitled to transportation to his school of origin if that is what his parent or guardian requests. A homeless student is entitled to all the educational services and extracurricular opportunities that would be available to any other student living in the district.
For help coordinating services for homeless youth in Northbridge please contact:
Cathy Stanton, Homeless Liaison
Northbridge Public Schools
87 Linwood Ave.
Whitinsville, MA 01588